Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Grill Team

There's  reason for the title and a story behind my latest sewing project.  My husband participates in the mostly annual Doo Dah Parade in Pasadena - a parody of the Rose Parade, not to be confused with a San Fran parade of similar name but questionable sexual orientation.  He participates in the Barbeque & Hibachi Marching Grill Team whose uniform is Hawaiian shirt, shorts, apron, grill & tools with a charcoal bag chef's hat. Rigorous training consists of cigar smoking and beer guzzling.  They cook hot dogs which are given to the crowd, sometimes shot from a bazooka, served with ketchup, mustard and relish by "condiment girls".  Seriously, I couldn't make this stuff up. 

Phil in my first "parade" apron hastily sewn (and glued) the night before a parade years ago.  Dig the lobsters!
The point is that the Hubby was recognized with a cool trophy this year.  So I decided for Father's Day I would make him a new apron and mitt set.  Off to Ebay to shop for just the right fabric.  Then wondered how was I going to quilt mitts that withstand the heat.  It's been said that adversity is the mother of invention and that may be true but I'm here to tell you, laziness too has given birth to some rather interesting inventions around here!  I decide to purchase (on sale for 50% off - yay me!) mitts from the store.  Then it was just a matter of creating a cover for the existing mitt and securing it, which was almost a bigger job than the poor sewing machine could handle.  Ran out of time and right mitt could use some finishing touches but there's time for that before next year's parade. 



You'll notice that in speed sewing for a deadline, bias tape and grosgrain ribbon come in handy.  Since mine was an original design and not wanting any of my cool innovations to go unused or misunderstood, note that I tapped my scrapbooking skills and supplies to create tools, requisite beer and cigar with holder!  It was a fun project and won't the Hubby look doggone good parading next year?  

No comments:

Post a Comment