Total Pageviews

Friday, July 8, 2011

Welcome to my urban farm blog!

Until this week, it had been an unseasonably cool summer in sunny southern California.  I was late getting my garden started.  First mistake, I didn't cut back the artichokes at the end of last season.  For those of you who aren't familiar with artichokes, don't feel bad, I had never seen one either before arriving in California.  They're perennials from the thistle family that have an edible plant that left alone will open into a purple bloom.  But I digress.

When the last of the artichokes were harvested (and cut back), I planted tomato, squash and some peppers.  After a battle with weeds, I decided to try covering the dirt around the plants with newspaper which is SUPPOSED to form a weed barrier and act as a moisture retaining mulch.  To top that off, I added mulch.  Then I got stupid with it when one day at Costco, I find a bargain price on an industrial sized vat of "Preen" - which is SUPPOSED to keep weeds out for 3 months.

Now I have to admit, the organic farmer in me put up a tough fight against the chemical "de-weeder" but alas, the lazy gardener in me won hands down!  It really was a struggle.  I grow my own food to know where it comes from and what's in or on it.  I read all the warnings and debated about donning a haz- mat suite to use the stuff.  I worried about my dogs (who like to eat grass).  I worried about my chickens that like a good dusting in the fresh garden dirt but good intentions be damned I used the stuff, carefully as directed.

Family and business commitments kept me busy, away from home and out of the garden.  This was followed by the recovery & catching up period which brought us into a heat wave...  Yeah, yeah, excuses, excuses!  When I finally set foot back in the garden area about 3 weeks later - HOLY COW - I have grass growing that would do any golf course proud.

What the heck?  How good this be?  I feel so betrayed!  I was weak, gave in, took the easy way out and alas...it let me down.  I guess the lesson learned here is nothing keeps weeds out of the garden like good old fashioned elbow grease.

No comments:

Post a Comment