Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 9, 2011

My First Flock - The Coop de Gras

As the recession that never was started taking it's toll, sustainability became and remains a hot topic.  Pair that with the benefits of organic free-range eggs and a backyard flock is born. 

In fall 2008, we started our first efforts in poultry farming in our urban backyard.  I have childhood memories of collecting eggs for my Great Aunt but gained no practical experience other than a vague recollection of the coop.  I started off with advice from my folks who had some but distant experience.  I supplemented with literature from The Auburn Extension Service and many other online and book sources.  Some practical advice in this urban setting was given by Annie (owner of a 3-hen poolside coop) which came in the way of what not to do when building your coop.

I don't have the most awesome coop in the world.  There are many with cool features and conveniences had we been building from ground up or making an outright purchase.  What mine had was practicality & resourcefullness by which I mean we used materials on hand (wire left over from a stucco job, scrap wood, tar paper) and we enclosed underneath our sons long abandoned tree house.  It's worked out well for us.  We built nesting boxes.  The only thing that required a trip to the hardware store was hinges, a handle and closure hardware for the door which probably didn't amount to $10.


Now on Facebook there are great poultry keeping sites to follow.  Check out some of the really extraordinary coops available, before you buy or build. We plan to do a new coop and I will be looking to "I Really Love Chicken Keeping" and "The Chicken Whisperer" on FB for some design ideas.  Stay tuned for the update. 

No comments:

Post a Comment